Sara Carpenter

Partner

Sara leads the firm’s Corporate Team and is a member of Rix & Kay’s Strategic Board which is responsible for delivering growth of the firm.

She has more than 13 years’ experience as a corporate lawyer and has an outstanding reputation for managing businesses through merger and acquisition projects and advising them on all legal aspects of their business’ life cycle.

Sara works hard to understand the motivations of the people behind the business and the business itself in order that she is best placed to be proactive in identifying issues and finding solutions to them.  As a result she consistently helps her clients to grow and adapt to the challenges they may face.

Sara’s Clients

Sara’s specialisms lie in providing corporate advice to individual business owners, entrepreneurs and professionals as well as corporate entities and has worked on and led numerous share and asset acquisitions, private equity investments, management buy-outs, joint ventures, corporate restructuring and refinancing projects.

Experience and approach

Sara understands the pressures and challenges that come with leading complex corporate transactions and that, for most people, it will be the most important business decision they will ever make.

Her approach focuses on strong leadership that helps support business owners through every step of their transaction and her calm professionalism is often noted by clients.

Above all, she knows how important it is to be there for her clients whenever they need support – whether it be an informal chat to air some concerns or a formal meeting at short notice – Sara is dedicated to her clients needs.

Areas of expertise

  • Corporate and Commercial advice
  • Mergers and acquisitions
  • Private equity investments
  • Management buy-outs
  • Joint ventures
  • Shareholders’ agreements
  • Corporate restructurings and refinancing’s

What Sara’s clients say

“On behalf of the three of us, thank you for your support throughout what was an exhausting 6 months. Your professionalism, humour and calming influence was a key reason we got the deal over the line. Looking forward to the next one already!”
Business owner – 2016

“You will need to give me your boss’s email address, he needs to know how much of a total saint you are!  I’d never previously appreciated the need for good solicitors to have great counselling skills.”
Business owner – 2016

“Thank you …. your work has been outstanding and you gave me hope and reassurance when I most needed it!”
Business owner – 2016

Sara’s work

Sale of a trade events company to US buyer
Sara worked in partnership with the shareholders of an English company operating a trade events business in the US in the sale of their shares to an American-based trade events operator, via one of its English subsidiary companies.  As a result of ongoing links with other events and resources owned and operated by the sellers, there was also a need to document certain interim and transitional arrangements relating to centralised services, marketing and intellectual property rights.

Sale of part of company – cross border transaction
Sara acted for the existing shareholders of a programme analysis specialist company in the sale of all shares held by the two minority shareholders and part of the shares held by the joint managing directors of the company to a French company.  The French buyer acquired a 52% shareholding in the company and the company’s joint managing directors retained the remaining 48% of the issued share capital.  Due to the ongoing shareholder relationship between the buyer and the two joint managing director shareholders, a shareholders’ agreement was negotiated between the parties and also new employment arrangements for the two joint managing directors.

Management team acquisition and refinancing
Sara acted for the management team in their acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a well-established building services consultancy company from its existing shareholders.  The consideration was financed by asset based lending and by personal loans from the management team.  The future relationship between the management team as shareholders was also protected through means of a shareholders’ agreement.

Crowdfunding
Sara provided advice to a company on its application and launch onto a crowdfunding platform.  The work involved a pre-application healthcheck on the documentation the company had in place to protect its product (a games app) and preparing any missing documentation.  Once the healthcheck had been undertaken and the crowdfunder of choice selected, a review of the terms and conditions of the crowdfunding platform was undertaken and Sara assisted in the provision of all background documentation required by the platform to investigate the company pre-launch onto the platform.