Bruce is a highly experienced Corporate and Commercial lawyer with a track record of advising clients on major M&A transactions. His reputation of helping businesses to grow comes from his detailed business acumen and approach to problem solving, along with his ability to explain complex issues in a straightforward way.
He also leads the firms dedicated Charities and Sports sector teams, a multidisciplinary team of lawyers who provide specialist services to national and regional charities in Sussex and Kent; and professional and grass-roots sports clubs across the South East.
Bruce works with some of the firm’s most important clients including family businesses and professional practices, to substantial corporates operating in the South East of England.
By establishing long-term strategic partnerships and taking time to understand his clients needs, Bruce provides legal advice at Board level, helping his clients to achieve their strategic and operational objectives.
Experience and approach
Having been Managing Partner at Rix & Kay for 17 years and previously been a Director of a Company of £50M turnover with 750 staff. Bruce has gained vast experience of running a business and understands the legal and commercial requirements of his clients.
He is able to apply technical legal know-how in a commercial way which means clients benefit from business-savvy advice that adds real value to their bottom line.
Areas of expertise
- Corporate Transactions – Acquisitions and Sales
- Advising fellow professionals on structuring their business- partnerships – LLPs – Limited Companies
- Advising at Board level on legal business/commercial issues
- Director/Member/Partner obligations and duties and termination
- Sports Law – Sales/Acquisitions/Inward Investments and Sponsorship Agreements and Commercial Contracts
- Corporate charities/not for profit organisations
Developing Long-term strategic partnerships
Bruce has been advising a third generation farming family business which has diversified over the last 15 years. He is regarded as the clients trusted legal and business adviser. Some of his work includes:
- Acquisition of shares from outgoing shareholders
- Shareholders Agreement
- Succession Planning
- Diversification from intensive farming to commercial landlord
- Acquisition and sale of land and businesses
- Option Agreements and Joint Ventures in respect of land transactions
- Constant review of the family’s needs and those of the businesses
- Planning for 4th and 5th generation involvement in the business/assets
What Bruce’s client say
Bruce Hayter works with clients on a broad range of corporate transactions. He is the firm’s chair and leader of its sports and charities sector teams.
“He is very professional, knowledgeable, client-focused and driven to get the best result he can.”
Chambers and Partners, 2021
‘Bruce Hayter is friendly, knowledgeable and has been a great help, offering support where needed.‘
‘Bruce Hayter has a huge social conscience and has helped lead the way in Sussex to bring together organisations from the public, private and voluntary sector to use the power of sport to help local communities.‘
Legal 500 2021
It can be easy to get swept away in the thought of setting up a new business without properly addressing all the issues that come…