Probate & Estate Administration
Why choose Rix & Kay’s dedicated probate team?
Our large Probate Team has many years specialist experience in assisting executors and trustees in a sensitive and efficient way. We handle matters ranging from the very straightforward to highly complex multi-million pound estates.
At the outset a dedicated probate executive is assigned to each client to guide them through the whole probate process and to call in the expertise of other specialist staff members as and when required. These can include the lawyers from our Wills and Estate Planning Team, to cover tax and trust issues, our Residential Property Team, for property sales, and our Contentious Probate Team, in the case of disputes.
Our aim is to help our clients complete the administration of the estate as quickly and efficiently as possible while avoiding the difficulties and pitfalls that can arise on the way.
We have a very flexible approach to our services and we leave our clients to choose how much, or how little, they wish to make use of our expertise. Our charging basis reflects this flexibility.
Our flexible probate services:
Our services fall into three broad categories:
- Full service – we can take full responsibility for all aspects of the estate. This involves everything from arranging the funeral, clearing the deceased’s property, identifying and arranging valuations of assets, preparing the probate papers, collecting in the assets after the grant of probate has been issued, dealing with all tax matters, paying liabilities, preparing the estate accounts and distributing the balance of the estate to the beneficiaries. We always work on a flexible basis so that if the executors wish to deal with some matters themselves, such as arranging the funeral or clearing the property, we can, of course, accommodate that.
- Grant only service – in straightforward cases, we can deal with the legal formalities of obtaining probate leaving the executors to handle all the administrative work. It requires the executors to notify all banks, building societies and other organisations of the death and to obtain account balances or values for the deceased’s assets (and for any accounts or assets in the joint names of the deceased and another) as at the date of death. Once this information is provided to us we will prepare all the papers, advise about the Inheritance Tax issues and make the application for the grant of probate. After the grant has been issued, the executors will take responsibility for the collection and distribution of the estate. We will, of course be available to provide additional assistance as required. This could range from finishing off the administration of the estate to advising about specific matters such as the meaning and effect of the will, tax issues, the preparation of estate accounts and inheritance tax and financial planning for the beneficiaries. We can also provide our grant only service where the deceased left no will and the beneficiaries need to apply for a grant of letters of administration of the estate.
- Advisory service – in some cases, executors wish to undertake nearly all the work involved with the estate but need advice about certain aspects, such as Inheritance Tax, or on an ad hoc basis when they reach points of difficulty. We are happy to help in this way.
To find out more please take a look at our explanatory case studies:
- Case study: Full probate administration (estate value £279k)
- Case study: Grant only (estate value £147k)
- Case study: Grant only (estate value £1.2m)
- Case study: Full probate administration (estate value £800k)
Or read our probate guides:
Alternatively please contact us if you would like to speak to one of our experienced team members.
“I would like to thank you all for the work undertaken on my behalf, all of whom have given an excellent service in helping me carry out my duties as executor.”
Client feedback, Oct 2018
“I have nothing but praise and satisfaction for the service and explanations, and all documents dealt with, during what has been a very trying time for myself and my family.”
Client feedback, May 2018
“Your kind attention and overall professionalism has made the whole process smooth and trouble-free for me, and I would have no hesitation in coming to you again if the need arises.”
Client feedback, Jan 2018
“Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP’s team combines ‘good business acumen with a broad area of knowledge’ and ‘rates very high on the value for money chart’ and is therefore ‘a very effective alternative to the London firms’. It fields a number of specialist teams that focus on probate and estate administration, estate planning, tax and trusts, later life and Court of Protection matters. Max Wright is ‘a first-rate lawyer and a pleasure to deal with’ and is valued for his ‘discretion and sensitivity’ in his management of clients. Alan Foster, who leads on contested probate matters, is ‘very responsive’. Ian Best is also a key practitioner.”