Leading Sussex and Kent based law firm Rix & Kay has won the prestigious LawNet Sustainability Excellence Award 2022. The award recognises Rix & Kay’s commitment to developing a strong Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy and the firm’s contribution towards tackling and raising awareness of global environmental challenges.
Rix & Kay was named best in class for sustainability excellence amongst more than 70 LawNet member firms at the annual LawNet Awards ceremony that took place on the 1st July at Celtic Manor Resort, Newport.
Rix & Kay was praised for its approach to adopting a number of UN Sustainability Goals as the foundations of its ESG Strategy and how it uses those Goals to inform a wide range of ESG initiatives. Some of the initiatives highlighted were:
- Supporting and promoting the Round Britain Climate Challenge
- Participating in Count Us In – a global initiative acting on climate change
- Maintaining proactive membership of the Legal Sustainability Alliance
- A commitment to be paperless by October 2022
- Driving a continued transition to a net zero supply chain
Rix & Kay was also recognised for its commitment to promoting mental and physical well-being; its commitment to equality and diversity; and its investment in projects to foster sustainable communities. Some of the initiatives highlighted were:
- Rix & Kay’s involvement in the Sussex Cricket Foundation and supporting Brighton & Hove’s Urban Plan for Cricket
- A dedicated mental health and well-being hub for all its employees
- Supporting the University of Brighton’s mentoring scheme for minority groups and university students
Kathryn Paisley, Corporate Partner and member of Rix & Kay’s Board commented,
“In a short space of time, Rix & Kay has accelerated its ESG agenda. We’ve evolved from simple ideas such as energy-saving measures and recycling to raising awareness of global issues through collaboration with national partners. Whilst there is a long way to go, as a law firm, we feel we are ahead of the curve”.
Bruce Clarke, Partner and member of Rix & Kay’s Board, received the award on behalf of Rix & Kay at the ceremony. Bruce commented,
“Rix & Kay’s ESG strategy is something we take very seriously. We recognise that our firm has a role to play in tackling global environmental challenges, supporting sustainable communities and creating a workplace environment that promotes physical well-being and equality and diversity. To receive the LawNet Sustainability Excellence Award on behalf of Rix & Kay is a real honour.”