Rix & Kay has achieved another year of excellent rankings in the Legal 500 for 2020. In addition, 17 solicitors and partners have been recommended by the legal directory. The Legal 500 is an independent guide to the best law firms around the world.
The team is described as “extremely supportive and knowledgeable”, “not only incredibly approachable but provide an holistic service … the way they listen, support and deal with clients to understand their issues and requirements is really what sets them apart”, and “rightly highly regarded in Sussex”.
Our ranked teams and solicitors
The firm’s chairman Bruce Hayter has a wealth of experience in M&A transactions, MBOs and shareholder agreements. Alan Zeal has a specialism in advising on corporate structures and Tim Sadka serves clients in sectors such as TMT, manufacturing, engineering and construction.
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP provides the full range of employment and HR assistance to both employees and employers and has a strong roster of corporate clients. Managing partner Bruce Hayter works closely with the corporate department and handles matters such as TUPE, redundancies and senior exits. Victoria Regan also acts on such matters in addition to discrimination, harassment and whistleblowing cases and Amy White provides comprehensive HR expertise.
The rural business team at Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP has a long-standing tradition of assisting the farming and rural business communities in Sussex and Kent and beyond. The team members act for landowners and farmers on the acquisition and sale of agricultural land, deal with farm business agreements and partnerships and agricultural easements. The practice is headed by Richard Cripps in Sevenoaks and William Keating in Brighton.
- “Rix & Kay has the expertise to deal with some of the most unusual and complicated rural properties.”
- “Regular contact with William Keating helped what could have been a slow transaction move, in a timely fashion, to exchange.”
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP’s Uckfield practice assists charities and non-profit organisations with all aspects of their operations, such as registration, constitution and governance, commercial and corporate negotiations, property acquisitions, fundraising and contentious matters. Bruce Hayter, Alan Zeal and Richard Cripps are the key contacts.
- “All the advisers are extremely supportive and knowledgeable. As an organisation they compare well to other firms as we have a variety of contacts who understand and have a good knowledge of our organisation.”
- “Bruce Hayter has a huge social conscience and has helped lead the way in Sussex to bring together organisations from the public, private and voluntary sector to use the power of sport to help local communities.”
Led by Alan Foster, the contested probate practice at Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP works closely with the firm’s wills and estate planning department to offer a full service to clients. A significant portion of the firm’s contentious work involves acting for high net worth individuals with large inheritances. It has also recently had an increase in mandates relating to SME-generated wealth.
- “Alan Foster is knowledgeable, experienced and very practical. As a counterparty, he is able to advance matters sensibly in the interests of the clients. We will be able to identify the areas of dispute swiftly.”
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP assists with all issues surrounding relationship breakdowns including dealing with trusts, companies and other assets accrued post-separation. It also assists with disputes over the residency of children. From the firm’s Uckfield office, Alan Foster and Janet Raeburn offer a wealth of experience across all family law matters.
The Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP team provides extensive expertise to both UK and overseas clients including advice on capital taxes planning, estate management and setting up and varying trusts. Its clients include wealthy business owners and clients in the agriculture sector. The ‘exceptional’ Max Wright leads much of this work and Alan Foster is hugely respected for his skills in contentious trusts and probate cases. Associate Amanda Attrell heads the later life work which includes Court of Protection cases and Deputyship applications and Ian Best has extensive experience in dealing with wills, probate and the administration of trusts.
- “The team offer a great alternative to London practices – offering expertise at a much lower price.”
- “This firm is rightly highly regarded in Sussex. I have experience of the quality of the legal advice, delivered in clear terms to the clients. There is a clear understanding of the need to achieve a commercially sensible outcome.”
The Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP team attracts a diverse range of clients from agricultural and estate owners to developers and industrial companies. David Ashton undertakes transactions for developers, investors and owner/occupiers and specialises in new homes development work, commercial leases and acquisitions and disposals and managing partner Richard Cripps also specialises in development work. Stewart Gregory brings healthcare sector expertise.
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP’s construction offering focuses on purely contentious matters. The firm has a growing practice in this area which is led by Dan Sherlock and is particularly strong in representing clients in adjudications, disputes arising from JCT contracts and construction liability cases. Other key areas of work include contested payment applications, defects claims and applications for time extensions.
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP is well-known for its sports law work, particularly in Sussex – acting for a range of grassroots clubs, charities, and governing bodies within the county. The firm is particularly notable for its work with a large number of local rugby clubs on various commercial, HR, and property matters. Department head Bruce Hayter has significant commercial experience and is particularly focused on grassroots sports.
- “Everyone at Rix and Kay is knowledgeable and takes time to understand my needs but what makes them stand out is their friendly approach, manner and ability to explain everything comprehensively.”
- “Bruce Hayter is friendly, knowledgeable and has been a great help, offering support where needed.”