Your General Practitioner or GP is often your first port of call when you are unwell. You may see your GP on a regular basis and, for some people, your GP may be the only doctor that you come into contact with for many years. Loss of confidence in your GP when things do go wrong can be devastating.
GPs deal with a wide range of medical conditions and will often refer to an appropriate specialist if they cannot help a patient directly.
If a GP does not recognise a medical condition that requires you to be seen by a specialist doctor or surgeon (such as cancer) or fails to treat a condition, you could be left with long term effects and disabilities.
GP claims normally involve a failure to act or a negligent action which has resulted in harm to you. If a GP fails to act they may have failed to diagnose a condition, failed to refer you to a specialist, failed to prescribe the correct medication (or dose) or failed to otherwise treat a condition. GPs see a wide range of problems and have a very large knowledge of different illnesses and conditions. However, when they do miss something, or act inappropriately, there can be serious consequences.
Claims for GP medical negligence include:
- Failure to diagnose a serious condition (e.g. meningitis, stroke, heart attack or kidney disease);
- Failing to refer a patient for investigations into serious conditions (e.g. a cancer misdiagnosis, heart condition or fractured bone);
- Failing to examine a patient;
- Failing to investigate serious symptoms;
- Failing to treat a serious condition adequately;
- Failing to visit a patient at home when there is a serious problem;
- Failing to act on a test result which indicates that there is a serious condition;
- Prescribing medication incorrectly (prescription error); and
- Performing minor surgical procedures badly that they are not competent to undertake.
Making a claim against your GP can be very upsetting, particularly as you may have been treated by them for many years. Our team has the experience to deal with your case sensitively and sympathetically as well as to fight for the compensation that your injuries and financial losses demand.
For further information please see Frequently Asked Questions about Clinical Negligence Claims. We act for clients throughout the UK and internationally. To speak to a member of our experienced team of solicitors, please call 01825 761555 for free initial advice about your claim.