To send enquiry to Rix & Kay please click the link below...


Children Related Issues

For more information, articles, videos and more...

Click Here

Free Initial Meeting Children issues whether it be which parent the child should live with; how often they should see the non-resident parent; what surname they should have or where they should go to school can often prove tricky issues to agree upon separation or divorce. All our lawyers will approach these issues sensitively and ensure that your children’s welfare is paramount.

You can download our factsheet to resolving disputes involving children through the Court here

If there are children involved, we will always encourage you to consider trying to resolve any issues directly or if this is not possible, by using either the options of Mediation or Collaborative Law. Essentially these options help to open a dialogue between you and your former partner/spouse with the aim of helping you to reach an agreement without the need for court proceedings.

The process of Mediation and/or Collaborative Law is to assist parents to look into the future and imagine how they will communicate and co-parent as their children mature. In contested court cases, it is often difficult to walk away without a huge amount of bitterness and upset and these feelings can make it difficult to behave reasonably and respectfully to the other parent. Mediators and Collaborative lawyers are trained to ensure that you focus on your children’s needs and discuss all of the tricky issues which we hope will be resolved through negotiation and discussion.

If Mediation or Collaborative Law is unsuitable for your particular circumstances then you may have to consider issuing court proceedings. This does not mean that you have failed your children as there are a number of situations and circumstances which are often too difficult to agree upon during separation. For example, one parent may decide they wish to live in another country or move too far away from the non-resident parent which makes arrangements to visit difficult.

There are also a number of other reasons the court may need to get involved in helping to make decisions. If one parent behaves particularly badly or you are concerned about your children’s welfare when they are with the other parent, you may need the court’s assistance.

We are able to assist and advise you on whether to make an application and we can also instruct barristers or represent you ourselves depending on the particular circumstances. The Court will always take into account s1(3) of the Children Act 1989 (known as the welfare checklist) when making a decision about your children. The factors which the court will have regard to are:

Your most convenient Rix & Kay office.

Ashford Office
Suite 4c, Third Floor,
International House, Dover Place
Ashford, Kent, TN23 1HU

Tel: 01233 225660
Fax: N/A

Brighton & Hove Office
7 The Drive
Brighton & Hove

Tel: 01273 329797
Fax: 01273 324082
DX: 59257 Hove

Seaford Office
26 Sutton Park Road
Seaford, East Sussex
BN25 1QU

Tel: 01323 897766
Fax: 01323 490278
DX: 38905 Seaford

Sevenoaks Office
16 South Park
TN13 1AN

Tel: 01732 440855
Fax: 01732 440854
DX: 30025 Sevenoaks

Uckfield Office
The Courtyard
River Way
Uckfield, East Sussex
TN22 1SL

Tel: 01825 761555
Fax: 01825 764172
DX: 133963 Uckfield 2

  • We will use this data to reply to your message. For more information please see our privacy policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.