Skip to content

For more information, articles, videos and more...

Visit our blog

Family and Divorce

Family icon

Contact our team to find out how we can help

Contact our team

Recording a financial settlement: Separation Agreements and Court Orders

Where you have separated, the Family Team at Rix & Kay can advise you on your rights and options in relation to your children and your financial situation.

When a financial settlement has been reached, it is strongly recommend that you formalise the agreement by way of Separation Agreement or Court Order to prevent either of your making future claims or failing to implement what was agreed. Our Family Solicitors have expertise in drafting and advising on financial agreements relevant to your circumstances.

Separation Agreements

A Separation Agreement is entered into by cohabitees who have separated, or by spouses/civil partners who are not yet entering into divorce or dissolution proceedings but wish to regulate their separation.

A Separation Agreement will cover how you wish to deal with your financial affairs on separation. A Separation Agreement can also be used to set out any agreement relating to the children and future divorce proceedings if applicable.

Both of you will need to have independent legal advice on the content of the Agreement, and provide full details of their own financial circumstances.

At Rix & Kay we will ensure your Separation Agreement is drafted to ensure you consider all eventualities.

Court Orders

For spouses or civil partners, if a financial settlement cannot be agreed and is resolved through the Court, the outcome will be recorded within a Court Order. Where an agreement is reached outside the Court process, then a ‘Consent Order’ can be drawn up and sent to the Court – provided the Judge approves the Order, the settlement is recorded within a Court Order without the parties having to attend Court. An Order of the Court can only be obtained during or after divorce proceedings.

For unmarried couples, an Order will only be obtained if an application is made to the Court in relation to property or under Schedule 1 of the Children Act.

Your most convenient Rix & Kay office.

Ashford Office
Suite 4c, Third Floor,
International House, Dover Place
Ashford, Kent, TN23 1HU

Tel: 01233 225660
Fax: N/A

Brighton & Hove Office
7 The Drive
Brighton & Hove

Tel: 01273 329797
Fax: 01273 324082
DX: 59257 Hove

Seaford Office
26 Sutton Park Road
Seaford, East Sussex
BN25 1QU


Sevenoaks Office
16 South Park
TN13 1AN

Tel: 01732 440855
Fax: 01732 440854
DX: 30025 Sevenoaks

Uckfield Office
The Courtyard
River Way
Uckfield, East Sussex
TN22 1SL

Tel: 01825 761555
Fax: 01825 764172
DX: 133963 Uckfield 2