To send enquiry to Rix & Kay please click the link below...


Divorce or Civil Partnership Dissolution

For more information, articles, videos and more...

Click Here

Free Initial Meeting

When a relationship breaks down, divorce or dissolution may be the only solution. We understand this is a major decision and we will provide full advice and support on the practical arrangements that will need to be made, both with your spouse/partner and any children involved.

Here at Rix & Kay, our Family Team has expertise in representing clients throughout the divorce process, however complex or difficult, whether you are initiating or responding to a divorce or dissolution Petition.

Typically the process can take between 5-7 months. In some cases it might take longer, for example, if there are issues to be dealt with concerning children, finances and/or property. This is only an estimate and will very much depend on the circumstances of each case.


Click here to download our simple outline of the progress of an undefended divorce through the Court 

Grounds for divorce

There is only one ground for divorce or dissolution in England and Wales being the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage or partnership. Either party to the marriage or partnership can present a petition for divorce/dissolution provided they have been married or in a Civil Partnership for at least one year and the requirements of domicile or habitual residence in England and Wales have been met.

To satisfy the court that the marriage has broken down irretrievably, there must be evidence of one or more of the following:

Four of the above facts are available if you wish to dissolve a Civil Partnership – there is no provision to commence dissolution proceedings on the basis of your partner’s adultery.

The divorce petition

We strongly recommend you obtain your spouse or partner’s agreement to a Petition being presented to the Court and the basis upon which it is to be filed. We will attempt to reach agreement over the form and wording of the Petition and there is often negotiation as to who is the appropriate person to issue the proceedings.

The Court will grant a divorce provided it is satisfied the marriage has irretrievably broken down. It is usual for the Petition to be drafted in such a way to demonstrate to the Court that there is sufficient reason for the marriage or partnership to be dissolved whilst not raising issues that would cause unnecessary conflict.

You should be aware that it is possible for a Judge to refuse to accept that a marriage has irretrievably broken down. It is for this reason that the drafting of the Petition is important.

Acknowledgment of Service

The Petition is sent to the Court to be “issued”. The Court will issue your Petition and send a copy to your spouse/partner, together with a document called an Acknowledgement of Service, which your spouse/partner should complete and return to the Court within a time frame set by the Court. Your spouse/partner is called the ‘Respondent’.

Your spouse/partner completes the Acknowledgment of Service, confirming whether or not they intend to defend the proceedings, and returns their completed form to the Court. This is why we encourage you to agree the contents of the petition before it is filed at Court. Defended proceedings are rare and often very expensive.

In the event the Respondent does not return their Acknowledgment of Service, the Court will not take any action automatically, and you may need to take legal advice as to what steps are available to you.

Decree Nisi/ Conditional Order

The Court will send you the Respondent’s completed Acknowledgment of ServiceYou will then need to complete and sign an application for Decree Nisi/Conditional Order and a document called a ‘Statement in Support’ confirming the contents of your Petition is true.

The District Judge will look through the papers and, if satisfied that everything is in order, will send you a Certificate of Entitlement. This tells you the date and time that your Decree Nisi/Conditional Order will be made, usually 4 weeks later. There is usually no need for anyone to attend Court on the day your Decree Nisi/Conditional Order is being made unless there is an issue regarding who should pay the costs of the divorce/dissolution.

Decree Absolute/ Final Order

Once the Decree Nisi/Conditional Order has been pronounced, you may apply for Decree Absolute/Final Order after waiting a further period of six weeks and one day. Decree Absolute is the document that ends the marriage whilst a Final Order ends a civil partnership. Very rarely would you have to attend Court within divorce or dissolution proceedings.

If the Petitioner does not apply for the Decree Absolute/Final Order then, three months after the date upon which the Petitioner could have applied, the Respondent may themselves make this application.

Decree Absolute/Final Order and financial matters

The Decree Absolute brings the marriage to an end but does not bring an end to the right of either of you to make a claim against the other. However, it can affect your entitlement to certain benefits that you may have by virtue of being married or in a civil partnership, for example any widow’s rights you may have under your spouse/partner’s pension and certain rights in relation to tenancies.

We strongly advise that you take legal advice in relation to financial matters before applying for (or before your spouse/partner can apply for) Decree Absolute or Final Order.

Attending Court

It is very rare that parties have to attend Court within divorce or dissolution proceedings, and usually that would be if a divorce or dissolution is defended, there is an issue on the matter of who pays for the divorce, or the Respondent applies for Decree Absolute/Final Order because the Petitioner has not done so.

Your most convenient Rix & Kay office.

Ashford Office
Suite 4c, Third Floor,
International House, Dover Place
Ashford, Kent, TN23 1HU

Tel: 01233 225660
Fax: N/A

Brighton & Hove Office
7 The Drive
Brighton & Hove

Tel: 01273 329797
Fax: 01273 324082
DX: 59257 Hove

Seaford Office
26 Sutton Park Road
Seaford, East Sussex
BN25 1QU

Tel: 01323 897766
Fax: 01323 490278
DX: 38905 Seaford

Sevenoaks Office
16 South Park
TN13 1AN

Tel: 01732 440855
Fax: 01732 440854
DX: 30025 Sevenoaks

Uckfield Office
The Courtyard
River Way
Uckfield, East Sussex
TN22 1SL

Tel: 01825 761555
Fax: 01825 764172
DX: 133963 Uckfield 2

  • Please provide the name of the other person involved. We require this to undertake a conflict check to ensure we are not already acting for other individuals.
  • We will use this data to reply to your message. For more information please see our privacy policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.