A Day in the Life of a Rix & Kay Apprentice
A Day in the Life of a Rix & Kay Apprentice
Max Ford joined Rix & Kay as an apprentice in November 2021 and provides valuable support to the firm’s Office Services Team as a Business Administrator. After six months in post, Max reflects on his time at Rix & Kay and what he has learnt.
What I have learnt during the past 6 months of working as an Apprentice at Rix & Kay Solicitors
Previously coming from a manual working background with little experience of working in an office or within a law firm, my role as a Business Administration Apprentice at Rix & Kay has opened my eyes to the professional work environment. Working within a strong Administration Team is enjoyable, and when new situations arise the support available is vital. I feel I have quickly adapted to the firm’s fast thinking and efficient approach, always putting our customers first and making the delicate matters we deal with as smooth and seamless as possible.
Why did I choose Rix & Kay?
Rix & Kay is widely recognised within the local community for being a top tier law firm and providing professional services for over 80 Years! I’d researched many apprenticeships schemes but Rix & Kay proved to be the best fit for me with its expertise across multiple departments. After reading google reviews about the firm, they seemed to be engaging with their clients and always offering the best advice, guidance and support to both their staff and their customers.
Why I think you should pick an Apprenticeship
An apprenticeship is the perfect steppingstone into any business. You learn the fundamentals of how a company is run, alongside putting forward ideas on how you feel you can contribute in making a positive impact within the company/relevant industry.
A Day in the Life of a Business Administration Apprentice at Rix & Kay Solicitors
I am 6 months into my Business Admin Course with Rix & Kay. My working day starts early at 8.15am and involves a wide range of responsibilities. Some of my main daily tasks include:
- Collecting the post from the Royal Mail sorting office for Rix & Kay’s offices in Uckfield, Brighton & Hove, Ashford and Sevenoaks.
- Opening up our Uckfield Office ready to welcome staff and clients.
- Sorting all the post and ensuring it is scanned onto our systems and sent to the relevant department or team member
- Processing any cheques that may need to be paid into the bank on behalf of our clients, keeping a close eye on incoming emails from other departments to make sure I can assist if required.
- Filing a wide range of legal documents including Wills, Lasting Power of Attorney’s (LPA’s), Deeds or Probates in our Uckfield Strong room for secure safe keeping.
- Updating our systems regarding the whereabouts of all legal and official documents
- Depositing any cheques received with the firm’s bank
- Cover the main reception area including answering telephone calls and assisting clients that come into reception who may be dropping off documents, meeting with colleagues or who may have a general query
- Liaise with my team to discuss what jobs are urgent and need prioritising. An example of this is closing files that our solicitors have completed, in these situations I also check the Ledger to ensure that there is no outstanding money on the clients Ledgers before the files are closed
- Ensure I keep my apprenticeship work up to date and find time to work towards my EPA (End Point Assessment).
- At the end of the day, I ensure that all of the post for the day is sent out to the relevant branches, and I make sure that any legal or highly important documents are sent via special delivery or royal mail signed for.
Every day presents a really busy and varied schedule but I still find time to pop to my local Tesco’s and grab myself a Meal Deal and hope for some sunny weather to enjoy my lunch break – mixed in with plenty of coffee.
At Rix & Kay we make it easy for you to make your mark your own way
The new world of work has arrived. We’re excited about the potential it offers to balance the objectives of a company and the needs of its people equally. We want you to be part of it with us. We’re a firm who live our values
Careers at Rix & Kay
Rix & Kay is a firm with a clear strategy for growth, for our business and our people. We offer quality professional training and development, exposure to working on the bigger, more stimulating stuff earlier, and high-quality work with some exciting clients.
If you are interested in building your career with us, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our careers page.